1. Ask the Father for the covering of the Holy Spirit and the presence of Jesus Christ, who is God the Son. Claim the blood of Jesus over all sin. Ask for angels to guard you, for He has promised. Ask Him to protect you so that no other influences or thoughts will be allowed to disturb you.
2. Worship the Creator, Redeemer, King. Consider the many biblical names for God. Ask Him to bring thoughts to your mind of reasons to worship Him.
3. Invite Him to search your life for a revelation of hidden sin. Allow Him to take you back to childhood if necessary. Take time to be attentive and listen. Be still and allow Him to “speak” thoughts to you.
4. As conviction comes to your mind of thoughts, acts, cherished "rights" (such as anger, rebellion, and resentment, ), or experiences that in the presence of the cross are sin, be specific, call these things sin, and ask for forgiveness and thank Him aloud. (Your ears need to hear your own voice expressing confidence and praise.)
5. Ask for a deeper repentance. Since it is a gift, thank Him, whether you feel anything or not.
6. By your own free choice, tell your Heavenly Father you give Him permission to remove the sin and sense of guilt or condemnation that came with the sin. Let God know you are willing to allow Him to place the burden you have been carrying on the shoulders of His Son. Accept Jesus' desire to release you from this guilt. Christ wants to do this for you. Express thanks aloud.
7. Ask God what He has for you in exchange. What characteristic of Jesus is He waiting to give you? What gift of guidance or insight is He making available? Be still. Take time to be attentive and listen.
8. Let God know you will accept that gift (whatever thought, word, or picture He brings to your mind). Be sure to thank Him aloud.
9. Repeat the process as desired. Enjoy His presence. Praise Him. NOTE: Compare any thought or impression with what you already know is in the Bible or Spirit of Prophecy. We do not build our lives on impressions, so if a thought comes that is contrary to Scripture or any of His already-written, inspired words, reject that thought by the power of the blood of Jesus.
10. While you are accepting gifts from God, if He has just impressed you of specific instances of sin, you may want to ask what help He would have sent if you had turned to Him fully in that earlier moment of temptation. Or you may ask what Jsus would have done in your place. He may give you delightful insights.
11. You may want to ask Him in the final moments of this specific prayer if there is anything or anyone else He wants you to pray about or for, or if there is any particular instruction He wants to share with you. Take time to be attentive and listen. Again, be still and know that He is God!
12. Be sure to praise Him aloud as you end the time of prayer. You’ll want to. He’s a wonderful God and a marvelous, generous, loving Friend.